North Carolina Wesleyan University’s Adult Studies are nonresidential, baccalaureate degree programs designed to meet the educational needs of adult learners. The Office of Adult & Professional Studies allows mature women and men to tailor their degree work to meet personal, career and life goals. Because mature adults are highly motivated and capable of self-directed learning, adult learners can take advantage of 8-week, hybrid and online classes, as well as opportunities for earning credit through alternative options such as CLEP and DSST testing.
- 100% online programs
- 8-week, hybrid and online classes
- 10 campus locations
- 300+ online courses
- Opportunities for earning credit through CLEP and DSST testing
- Dedicated support from faculty and advisors
Explore our 8-week Hybrid & Online Classes
Whether you want to be more marketable in your organization, career, or life in general get the competitive advantage with NC Wesleyan’s Adult Studies degree programs. Our coursework includes one-night-per week classes, hybrid classes, and online classes. Some degrees can be completed 100% online. Not all degrees are offered at all locations.
What type of format is the Adult & Professional Studies Program?
The Adult & Professional Studies program offers a regionally accredited accelerated bachelor’s program designed to meet the needs of adult students. Through this program, students have access to:
- 8-week seated, hybrid and online courses
- Seated classes meet one-night-per-week for four hours
- 300+ Online classes
- Fully online programs available
- Full-time or part-time course loads depending on your needs
- Personalized academic pathway
How long does it take to complete the Adult & Professional Studies Program?
The Adult & Professional Studies program can be completed in 1.5 – 3 years, depending on transfer credits. You can choose to take full-time or part-time course loads depending on your needs. Seated classes meet one-night-per-week for four hours.
What majors or programs are offered?
The Adult & Professional Studies program offers a variety of majors in today’s leading industries. Students can choose to focus on one major, double major and add on a variety of minors including human resources, leadership, psychology and many more!
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
- Business Administration –option to add on concentrations in Entrepreneurship
- Computer Information Systems
- Elementary Education, K-6 License (Rocky Mount campus only)
- Healthcare Administration
- Organizational Leadership
- Political Science
- RN to BSN
- Sports Administration
- Supply Chain Management
Only 2 semesters (16 weeks) and courses transfer into bachelor programs!
What is the admissions process for APS?
The admissions process is easy as 1-2-3 and can be completed quickly!
Complete our FREE Application online here
- SUBMIT YOUR TRANSCRIPTS
- Have all your official college transcripts sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the Welcome Center at the Rocky Mount Campus.
- Each school you attended will have their own transcript request form/process accessible on their individual websites. NOTE: If you have at least 12 hours of college credit, you do not need to submit your high school transcript.
- ATTEND ORIENTATION
Once accepted, schedule an in-person or virtual orientation with your location advisor
For students using financial aid: Complete your Free Federal Application for Financial Aid at studentaid.gov (FAFSA school code 002951). This application is used to determine federal and state grants, as well as, federal loans. Students are NOT required to borrow student loans and all are encouraged to complete the FAFSA to determine grant eligibility. Loan borrowers will also need to complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov.
What is the tuition costs for APS?
Benchmarked against many of North Carolina’s public institutions such as NC State, NC Wesleyan offers an affordable tuition rate with minimal fees. Students have access to a variety of federal, state and institutional grants.
2022-2023 Academic Year (June – July)
- $425 per credit hour, $5,100 for a full-time course load of two classes per 8-week session
- $40 Technology Fee for every 8-week term that you are enrolled
- $120 Graduation Fee (One-time fee Applied to your account when you apply for graduation)
- $15 Background Check Fee (One-time fee; Run on all new students and is non-refundable)
What types of financial aid can I receive?
There are many types of financial aid available for each adult studies student. Below are a quick list of types of aid.
Students are considered full-time by taking two classes every 8-weeks
Federal Pell Grant
Amounts determined by FAFSA application
North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship (NCNBS)
Amount determined by FAFSA and NC Residency applications
Phi Theta Kappa
$500 Fall & Spring. You must be enrolled full-time.
2+ Wesleyan Grant
$750 per semester for select community college graduates
United Methodist Award
Equivalent to 20% of tuition. Must be a member of the United Methodist Church and submit an application and a letter of reference from a pastor.
Dependent on number of credits, equivalent to 10% of tuition. All active duty, veterans and spouses for all branches of the military, including the National Guard and Coast Guard. Must submit DD-214 or military ID.
Public Service Scholarship
Equivalent to 10% of tuition. All police, fire and EMS employees
Department of Public Safety (DPS) Employees
Equivalent to 22% of tuition. Must provide proof of employment
Where are the regional campus locations for APS?
Through our partnerships with North Carolina Community College, NC Wesleyan has 10 campuses. At each campus, students will have access to a dedicated student advisor that will assist them with all aspects of going back to college. Consider it a one-stop-shop!
- Brunswick County @ Brunswick Community College
- Goldsboro @ Wayne Community College
- Greenville @ Pitt Community College
- New Bern @ Craven Community College
- Manteo @ College of the Albermarle
- Rocky Mount
- Washington @ Beaufort County Community College
- Wilmington @ Cape Fear Community College
- Winston-Salem @ Forsyth Technical Community College
Who is eligible for Adult & Professional Studies?
NCWU Adult Studies admissions is open to all persons who meet the following criteria:
• Have completed an application to the appropriate location.
• At least 21 years of age. VP of Enrollment may waive this requirement.
• Background Check
Choose from 10 Campuses
With its main campus located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina Wesleyan University recently expanded its statewide footprint to 10 satellite campuses for adult students.
- New Bern
Other Adult & Professional Studies Recognitions
Exceeding the Benchmark Standards for Military Friendly®
Year after year, NC Wesleyan University continues to be recognized as a Military Friendly® college. We strive to provide the best service to veterans and troops through:
- Administers and accepts DSST
- Provides support and guidance with VA benefits
- Provides campus locations and online education near military bases in eastern NC
- Provides flexible scheduling of classes
- Offers flexible policies for transfer work and military training
Recognized in the Top 25% Highest-Rated Colleges for Transfer Students
The Transfer Honor Roll recognizes excellence and success in community college transfer pathway development among four-year colleges and universities. NC Wesleyan University continues to be selected based on our Transfer Friendliness Rating.
Learn more about our Wesleyan Works Program for high school seniors and Community College students.
What Does Our Program Offer?
Most of our professional development courses are 100% online. Check out course topics below or view our complete list at ncwc.ed4career.com.
• Human Resources
• Management & Leadership
• Customer Service
• Marketing & Social Media
• Workforce Compliance
• Teaching & Education
• IT Certifications
Corporate Advantage Program (CAP)
Many employees already have a degree or are not looking to earn a full degree, and many employers are interested in short-term educational and professional development for their staff. NC Wesleyan University can meet both needs by offering one of the following 3 courses on-site:
- Organizational Development
- Human Resource Management
- Courses offered at your organization in Rocky Mount or the Raleigh-Durham area
- Courses can be completed in 8 weeks
- Employees attend class one night per week from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Employees earn 3-9 hours of college credit that they can apply to a college degree at NC Wesleyan University
- Instructors have real world experience plus graduate degrees in the field they are teaching
- 10% tuition discount for your employees
- Employees can continue their education conveniently at our Rocky Mount or Raleigh-Durham campuses
24/7 Tutoring Services. Free & Easy.
North Carolina Wesleyan University is partnered with Smarthinking, a complimentary online tutoring service, provided to all Wesleyan students. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and features live tutoring in the subjects of writing, reading, math, computer and technology, science and business.
New to Smarthinking are Virtual Nerd Tutorials; these 3 to 6 minute videos are in the fields of Pre-algebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Geometry. Smarthinking is a reliable resource which can be used for all your classes, give it a try today!