Welcome International Students!

Become part of the wonderful opportunities and experiences available for international students.

North Carolina Wesleyan College is located on a beautiful 200 acre campus. There are nine residence halls, eight townhouses, nine academic and main buildings, and a performing arts center. The outdoor athletic facilities include tennis courts and fields for baseball, intramurals, soccer, lacrosse and softball. The college is affiliated with the NCAA Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference. There are 15 intercollegiate sports teams for men and women, as well as many different clubs, organizations and intramurals available to keep you actively involved on campus.

Join Our Bishop Family Today!
Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons

This message is only visible to admins:
Unable to display Facebook posts

Error: (#10) This endpoint requires the 'manage_pages' or 'pages_read_engagement' permission or the 'Page Public Content Access' feature. Refer to and for details.
Type: OAuthException
Code: 10
Click here to Troubleshoot.

There are over 40 different countries represented in our classrooms.
North Carolina Wesleyan College is ranked #1 by the 2010 US News & World Report as the most racially diverse college in the southern United States!

nc wesleyan international flags
NC Wesleyan College front-lawn fountain

North Carolina Wesleyan College is a small liberal arts institution of higher education located in beautiful Rocky Mount, NC. The college is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate degrees. We offer undergraduate degrees in 29 major areas of study and 30 minors. You can find more information about the majors and minors in the NCWC Online Catalog.

Alexis Rodriguez
Director of International Admissions
o: 252.985.5203
c: 252.955.7128

Dawn Turner
Director of International Student Services/PDSO
o: 252.985.5124
c: 252.200.7183

International Student Admissions Process

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to North Carolina Wesleyan College if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer.  There can be no more than a 5-month gap between schools from the last date of attendance OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT), whichever is later.  The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

Steps to Transfer to North Carolina Wesleyan College:

  • Notify the International Student Advisor at your current school that you intend to transfer to NC Wesleyan. The advisor will enter a SEVIS release date into your record. On this date, your SEVIS record will automatically transfer to NC Wesleyan via the internet. The release date is usually the last day of enrollment at your current school.
  • Complete the transfer form on the website and give to your International Student Advisor to complete. F-1 students will receive a transfer I-20 from NC Wesleyan within two weeks following their transfer release date.
  • F-1 students will be issued a second transfer I-20 and notified by email to pick it up in the Admissions Office. This second I-20 is proof that your transfer has been completed successfully.
  • F1 Student Request Form

Traveling Between Schools:
Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their NC Wesleyan I-20 and not the previous school’s document.

Transfer From NC Wesleyan:
If you are planning to leave NC Wesleyan to go to another U.S. school, you must present your acceptance letter to the DSO and transfer form so your SEVIS record can be transferred out.

Once your application has been submitted you will need to email our International Advisor with the following academic records officially translated to English:

  • Official Academic Records: Records should include courses taken, grades received degrees/certificates earned. International students who have attended a college or university outside the United States must provide official translated transcripts. Course-by-course professional evaluations of academic work are required for North Carolina Wesleyan to award academic credit. The course-by-course evaluation must be by an external evaluation service. An evaluation service commonly used is
  • TOEFL: Students whose native language is not English are required to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores in order to be considered for admissions.
  • SAT: Optional

After being accepted by the college, all International students are required to pay a $1,000 (USD) enrollment deposit. This deposit is used to secure the room and class schedule of each student.

All accepted applicants who have deposited must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, CFR, to the International Admission Representative, giving evidence of their ability to cover all expenses for each year of study. If privately sponsored, the student must document the first year’s assured support on deposit in a bank and parent/sponsor certification. Until the CFR is received and approved, a Form I-20 for securing a visa cannot be issued.

A Form I-20 for an F-1 VISA will be issued only when all admission requirements have been met. International applicants attending college in the United States at the time of application must submit an appropriately completed F-1 Transfer Form to the North Carolina Wesleyan College Office of Admission. The international student advisor at the applicant’s current school must complete this form.

Tuition:   $31,500
Room (Double):   $4,950
Board (Meals):   $6,200
Books:  FREE
Total: $42,650*
*Does not include the cost of health insurance. North Carolina Wesleyan College requires that all registered students carry insurance.  Students will be covered under North Carolina Wesleyan College Student Health Insurance Plan. Learn more by visiting the Health Insurance Information tab. Additional fee include $200 student activity fee, $150 wellness fee, $50 orientation fee (first-year students only) and $50 processing fee (first-year students only).

North Carolina Wesleyan College Employment Options for F-1 Students:

This is an introduction to employment issues and options for international students in F-1 status at North Carolina Wesleyan College (NCWC).

The most important employment issue to consider is legal (or “authorized”) versus illegal (or “unauthorized”) employment. Make sure that any employment you plan to engage in is legal, since illegal employment poses a grave threat to your ability to remain in or return to the United States. Also make sure you have the necessary employment authorization before you begin work. Starting work without prior authorization, even if you receive authorization later, constitutes illegal employment. Again, be aware that illegal, or unauthorized, employment renders you illegally present in the US and can have serious consequences. If you have any questions concerning your eligibility or category of employment, please consult with ISSAC before commencing employment.

Definition of Employment
Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for the work performed and the position is normally an unpaid position, this activity is considered to be volunteer work.

Eligibility Requirements
Different requirements exist for each type of F-1 employment, but there are basic requirements which must be met for any F-1 employment:

  • You must currently be in valid F-1 status and in good academic standing at NCWC while engaged in a full course of study, except during summer and school holidays.
  • A student who is out of status is not eligible for F-1 benefits, including employment.
  • Once employment is authorized, you must maintain your eligibility or you will lose your right to continue employment.

Categories of F-1 Student Employment:

On-Campus Employment
F-1 students are generally permitted to work on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20, while attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. This work is part-time, limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session or fulltime (40 hours a week) during holiday and vacation periods. Work on-campus is a benefit of F-1 visa status and no additional authorization is necessary. Work on the NCWC campus is permissible if it meets certain requirements. Please see the types below as defined by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

Type 1: Employment by North Carolina Wesleyan College
This refers to any on-campus work for which you receive a paycheck (or other compensation, i.e. room and board) from NCWC.

Type 2: Other Employment on the NCWC Premises
This includes work on the NCWC campus for an outside contractor if this work provides direct services to students. Please check with ISSAC if you plan to work for an on-campus contractor.

Type 3: Certain off-campus employment where there is an official educational relationship between NCWC and the off-campus employer

USCIS regulations allow work at an off-campus location provided:

  1. the location is educationally affiliated with NCWC
  2. the educational affiliation is associated with your school’s establishedcurriculum or is related to a graduate level research project which your school has contracted to perform (NCWC does not currently offer graduate programs)
  3. the work is an integral or important part of your program of study

Clear documentation about the relationship between NCWC and the employer is required. Please consult with an ISSAC advisor.

If you are uncertain whether any proposed employment would qualify as “on-campus” employment as described above, please consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
An F-1 student may be eligible for CPT authorization for work experience that is a requirement or an integral component of the program of study. These experiences may include internships, student teaching, cooperative education programs and practical experiences which are a required part of the student’s academic program, or for which academic credit is granted. Students authorized for CPT will receive a new SEVIS I-20 with the CPT notation. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
F-1 students are eligible for a total of twelve months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) per educational level. OPT provides an opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge obtained in an academic program to a practical work experience in the US. This employment opportunity must be directly related to your major field of study. Eligible students may apply for “pre-completion OPT” (before completion of program) and/or “post-completion OPT” (after completion of program). Students do not need a job offer in order to apply for OPT. OPT requires the student to have authorization from USCIS before you can begin employment. This authorization can take up to 3 months to obtain. Students recommended for OPT will receive a new SEVIS I-20 with an OPT recommendation notation. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Internship with an International Organization
If an F-1 student is offered employment in the form of an internship by a recognized international organization, he or she may accept such employment upon receipt of authorization from USCIS. Examples of recognized international organizations include the United Nations, the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, etc. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Economic Hardship
F-1 students who experience a serious economic hardship due to an unforeseen change in their financial situation may qualify for off-campus employment authorization. Among the changes that may qualify a student for economic hardship authorization are unexpected loss of a scholarship, significant currency devaluation or large business loss by a financial sponsor. Students must be able to document the change in their financial situation and prove that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond their control. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Social Security Number
In order to work in the US, you will need a valid Social Security Number (SSN). Your Wesleyan ID number is not a valid Social Security number. Students may apply for an SSN only after they have been offered a job or upon receipt of work authorization. The Social Security Administration will process your application and a number will be sent to you. The NCWC Director of International Student Services can assist with Social Security questions and also with transportation to the local Social Security Office.

In general, F-1 students who have been in the US for no more than five calendar years are exempt from Social Security (also known as FICA) and Medicare taxes. You should be sure to bring this to the attention of your employer because many employers are not familiar with this provision of the tax laws. Students in F-1 status are subject to all other taxes that may apply: federal, state and local.

Employment Eligibility Verification
Within the first three days of beginning work, you and your employer must complete a form entitled Employment Eligibility Verification (USCIS Form I-9). This form should be provided by your employer and must be updated each time you receive a renewal of your work permission.

It is required that all international students carry the health insurance plan offered by North Carolina Wesleyan College. Students will be covered for basic accident, sickness and major medical with WellFleet Insurance for the total cost of $1,131 per year (Fall-$475, Spring $656).

This amount will automatically be included in your Business Office statement. Please visit the Health Services Page for more information on student insurance.

Admission Checklist

1 square


  • Submit your application then get accepted.
  • Already accepted?
  • Move to step 2.
2 square

Submit Academic Records

Once your application has been submitted, email our International Advisor your officially translated academic records. Records must include courses taken, grades received and degrees/certificates earned. International students who have attended a college/university outside the United States must provide official translated transcripts. The course-by-course evaluation must be by an external evaluation service such as

3 square

Submit Proficiency Scores

TOEFL: Students whose native language is not English are required to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores in order to be considered for admission.

4 square

Pay Enrollment Deposit

All International students are required to pay a $1,000 (USD) Enrollment Deposit. This deposit is used to secure the room and class schedule of each student. This deposit is non-refundable unless the student’s Visa is denied.

5 square

Submit CFR

Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR): All accepted applicants who have deposited must submit a CFR to the International Admissions Representative, giving evidence of their ability to cover all expenses for each year of study. If privately sponsored, the student must document the first year’s assured support on deposit in a band and parent/sponsor certification.

6 square

Obtain I-20

After you are notified of your admission status, we will email instructions about obtaining your I-20 or Visa.

7 square

Secure Housing

Submit your housing application and start packing! Once you make your enrollment deposit, you will receive a letter with all of the information you need!

8 square

Attend Orientation

Take care of official business on campus. A weekend event, beginning with Campus Move-in Day for new students. NSE is a required orientation program that helps prepare you for your transition to college.

Welcome Bishop!

NC Wesleyan international students with rotary flags

Frequently Asked Questions

Current International Students

Q: I plan to travel during school breaks. What should I take with me?

You will need to bring your I-20 with a current signature, visa, and passport. Each signature on your I-20 is valid for one year. It is your responsibility to ensure that your signature does not expire before traveling. Bring your I-20 to Dawn Turner in the admissions building to sign if the signature is no longer valid.

Q: I am not able to finish my program by the completion date noted on my I-20. What should I do?

If you are not able to finish your degree program by the end of the date noted on your I-20, you can request an extension of your program. Contact Dawn Turner for assistance. There has to be a legitimate legally acceptable reason that you cannot complete your studies.

Q: I moved. Do you need my new location?

For any type of relocation, even if you moved to another dorm, contact Dawn Turner so she can update your information.

Q: I have changed my major. Do I need a new I-20?

Yes, you will have to notify Dawn Turner if there is a change in your major or minor. You will then receive an updated I-20. Do not discard any old I-20 forms or documents.

Q: I will be graduating soon. How can I receive authorization for employment after I graduate?

You should begin the process of applying for employment authorization at least 3 months prior to your graduation date. You must submit your employment authorization application prior to graduation; however, you may request that employment begin up to 60 days after the final date of your studies.

Q: Is it possible for me to take classes part-time for a semester?

Students with an F-1 are required to be full-time students. Only in very limited circumstances you can take fewer classes than full-time status requires. You must receive prior approval before dropping below full-time status or you will be considered out of status. See Dawn Turner if you are considering dropping below full-time status so your case can be evaluated.

Q: Is health insurance required while I am a student in F-1 status?

Yes, North Carolina Wesleyan College requires that all international students carry health insurance throughout their education here.

Prospective International Students

Q: What do I need to do to apply for an F1 visa in my country?

Students will have to contact the US embassy in their city and get an appointment. Prior to your appointment you will need to pay the SEVIS fee. Make sure you have all the required documentation before your appointment. (I-20 form, Wesleyan’s acceptance letters, passport, photos, SEVIS receipt, non-immigrant visa application DS-160, and documentation of your financial ability to support yourself). For more details review your embassy’s website.

Q: I have been accepted into North Carolina Wesleyan College. What should I bring with me when I come?

Besides your personal items and clothing we would recommend you to bring; hygiene products (shampoo, soap, towel, deodorant, tooth brush and toothpaste, etc.), travel and additional spending money, and a charger adapter/converter.

Q: I will be staying in a residence hall on campus. What do I need to furnish my room?

Most residence halls on campus house two students per room. Rooms come equipped with a single bed, dresser, desk, chair, and closet for each student. Students will need to provide bedding and decorations. We recommend you wait until your arrival to purchase these items.

Q: Will I be able to work while I am a student?

International students are only allowed to work on campus. They can work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 40 hours per week during school breaks. Students are responsible for securing a job on campus once they arrive.

Q: What should I expect when I go through immigration inspection upon arrival?

You will be asked to show your passport, visa, I-20 form and immigration forms (handed on the airplane).  It is important that you fill out the forms in a way that your name matches the name written on your visa. It is possible that you may be asked to show the receipt of the SEVIS fee as well as financial documents to prove that you have the means to pay for your education. Make sure all required documents are readily available while going through immigration. Do not pack these items in a suitcase you will be checking!

Q: What airport should I arrive at and will I have a ride to the school?

You will want to make arrangements to fly into RDU Airport in Raleigh, NC. It is very important that you send your flight information to Dawn Turner as soon as possible so arrangements for your arrival can be made.

Q: What should I do when I arrive on campus?

You will need stop by the Welcome Center to verify that you have arrived on campus. Bring your passport, visa and I-20 form to her office. Please bring any official, original transcripts to submit to your permanent file. Copies will need to be made to keep in your permanent file.