Welcome International Students!

We are pleased to share the wonderful opportunities and experiences available for international students at North Carolina Wesleyan College.

North Carolina Wesleyan College is located on a beautiful tree-filled 200 acre campus.  There are nine residence halls, eight townhouses, nine academic and main buildings, and a performing arts center.  The outdoor athletic facilities include tennis courts and fields for baseball, intramural, soccer, lacrosse and softball. The college is affiliated with the NCAA Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference. There are 14 intercollegiate sports teams for men and women, seven each, as well as many different clubs, organizations and intramurals available to keep you actively involved on campus.

Join our Bishop Family today!

12 hours ago

NCWC International

NCWC Internationals had a busy weekend, represented NCWC at the City Wide Welcome day at the YMCA, and then the Welcome Back Party at EBC 🎉 Thanks to the EBC and the Go Group 🙏🏼 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

NCWC International

The Governor, and the Office of Emergency Management, has asked our citizens not to travel at this time. Therefore, we are still asking students NOT to return to NCWC at this time. The College will remain closed through Monday night. This includes online classes. We will continue to evaluate and make decisions on the resumption of a regular schedule over the next few days. Please visit our website for the latest update: ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

NCWC International

Latest post about Hurricane Florence and the Rocky Mount NCWC Campus.

North Carolina Wesleyan College
Watch below to see current conditions on campus and to hear an update from our Director of Security, Wayne Sears.
... See MoreSee Less


Comment on Facebook

Thanks for the updates and video Officer Sears. Grateful that our campus and students are safe.

Thank you for the updates.

My family is so grateful to the NCWC Family for this update. We will continue praying for the best for you and all those threatened by this hurricane. Thanks for sharing. We're in Africa and this video has lifted our spirits to know that you are all safe. God bless you all!

Thank you so much for taking the time to put minds to rest!

Load more...

There are 33 different countries represented in our classrooms. North Carolina Wesleyan College is ranked #1 by the 2010 US News & World Report as the most racially diverse college in the southern United States!

Group of international students holding their country's flags
NC Wesleyan College front-lawn fountain and blue skies picture

North Carolina Wesleyan College is a small liberal arts institution of higher education located in beautiful Rocky Mount, NC.  The college is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate degrees. The college offers undergraduate degrees in 29 major areas of study, as well as minor degrees in 30 areas.  You can find more information about the majors and minors in the NCWC Online Catalog.

Alex Rodriguez smiling while wearing a white dress-shirt and blue and cold striped tie

Alexis Rodriguez
Director of International Admissions
o: 252.985.5203

Dawn Turner
Director of International Student Services/PDSO
o: 252.985.5124
c: 252.200.7183

International Student Admissions Process

Spring 2019 – December 1, 2018

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to North Carolina Wesleyan College if he/she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer.  There can be no more than a 5-month gap between schools from the last date of attendance, OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT), whichever is later.  The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

Steps to Take to Transfer to North Carolina Wesleyan College

  • Notify the International Student Advisor at your current school that you intend to transfer to NC Wesleyan. The advisor will enter a SEVIS Release Date into your record. On this date, your SEVIS record will automatically transfer to NC Wesleyan via the internet. The release date is usually the last day of enrollment at your current school.
  • Complete the transfer form on the website and give to your International Student Advisor to finish. F-1 students will receive a transfer I-20 from NC Wesleyan within two weeks following their transfer release date.
  • F-1 students will be issued a second transfer I-20 and notified by email to pick it up in the Admissions Office. This second I-20 is proof that your transfer has been completed successfully.
  • F1 Student Request Form

Traveling Between Schools
Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their NC Wesleyan I-20 and not the previous school’s document.

Transfer From NC Wesleyan
If you are planning to leave NC Wesleyan to go to another U.S. school, you must present your acceptance letter to the DSO and transfer form so your SEVIS record can be transferred out.

Once your application has been submitted you will need to email our International Advisor with the following academic records officially translated to English:

  • Official academic records: Records should include courses taken, grades received, and degrees and certificates earned. International students who have attended a college or university outside the United States must provide official translated transcripts. Course-by-course professional evaluations of academic work are required for North Carolina Wesleyan to award academic credit. The course-by-course evaluation must be by an external evaluation service. An evaluation service commonly used is
  • TOEFL: Students whose native language is not English are required to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores in order to be considered for admissions.
  • SAT: Optional

After being accepted by the college, all International students are required to pay a $1,000 (USD) Enrollment Deposit. This deposit is used to secure the room and class schedule of each student.

All accepted applicants who have deposited must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, CFR, to the International Admission Representative, giving evidence of their ability to cover all expenses for each year of study. If privately sponsored, the student must document the first year’s assured support on deposit in a bank and parent/sponsor certification. Until the CFR is received and approved, a Form I-20 for securing a visa cannot be issued.

A Form I-20 for an F-1 visa will be issued only when all admission requirements have been met. International applicants attending college in the United States at the time of application must submit an appropriately completed F-1 Transfer Form to the North Carolina Wesleyan College Office of Admission. The international student advisor at the applicant’s current school must complete this form.

Tuition:   $30,600*
Room & Board:   $10,800**
Fees: $400
Books:  FREE
Total: $41,800***
*Tuition includes books.
**Standard Double Room
***Does not include the cost of health insurance. All international students are required to buy the school insurance. Learn more by visiting the Health Insurance Information tab.

North Carolina Wesleyan College Employment Options for F-1 Students

This is an introduction to employment issues and options for international students in F-1 status at North Carolina Wesleyan College (NCWC).

The most important employment issue to consider is legal (or “authorized”) versus illegal (or “unauthorized”) employment. Make sure that any employment you plan to engage in is legal, since illegal employment poses a grave threat to your ability to remain in or return to the United States. Also make sure you have the necessary employment authorization before you begin work. Starting work without prior authorization, even if you receive authorization later, constitutes illegal employment. Again, be aware that illegal, or unauthorized, employment renders you illegally present in the US and can have serious consequences. If you have any questions concerning your eligibility or category of employment, please consult with ISSAC before commencing employment.

Definition of Employment
Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for the work performed and the position is normally an unpaid position, this activity is considered to be volunteer work.

Eligibility Requirements
Different requirements exist for each type of F-1 employment, but there are basic requirements which must be met for any F-1 employment:

  • You must currently be in valid F-1 status and in good academic standing at NCWC while engaged in a full course of study, except during summer and school holidays.
  • A student who is out of status is not eligible for F-1 benefits, including employment.
  • Once employment is authorized, you must maintain your eligibility or you will lose your right to continue employment.

Categories of F-1 Student Employment

On-Campus Employment
F-1 students are generally permitted to work on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20, while attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. This work is part-time, limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session or fulltime (40 hours a week) during holiday and vacation periods. Work on-campus is a benefit of F-1 visa status and no additional authorization is necessary. Work on the NCWC campus is permissible if it meets certain requirements. Please see the types below as defined by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

Type 1: Employment by North Carolina Wesleyan College
This refers to any on-campus work for which you receive a paycheck (or other compensation, i.e. room and board) from NCWC.

Type 2: Other Employment on the NCWC Premises
This includes work on the NCWC campus for an outside contractor if this work provides direct services to students. Please check with ISSAC if you plan to work for an on-campus contractor.

Type 3: Certain off-campus employment where there is an official educational relationship between NCWC and the off-campus employer

USCIS regulations allow work at an off-campus location provided:

  1. the location is educationally affiliated with NCWC
  2. the educational affiliation is associated with your school’s establishedcurriculum or is related to a graduate level research project which your school has contracted to perform (NCWC does not currently offer graduate programs)
  3. the work is an integral or important part of your program of study

Clear documentation about the relationship between NCWC and the employer is required. Please consult with an ISSAC advisor.

If you are uncertain whether any proposed employment would qualify as “on-campus” employment as described above, please consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
An F-1 student may be eligible for CPT authorization for work experience that is a requirement or an integral component of the program of study. These experiences may include internships, student teaching, cooperative education programs and practical experiences which are a required part of the student’s academic program, or for which academic credit is granted. Students authorized for CPT will receive a new SEVIS I-20 with the CPT notation. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
F-1 students are eligible for a total of twelve months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) per educational level. OPT provides an opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge obtained in an academic program to a practical work experience in the US. This employment opportunity must be directly related to your major field of study. Eligible students may apply for “pre-completion OPT” (before completion of program) and/or “post-completion OPT” (after completion of program). Students do not need a job offer in order to apply for OPT. OPT requires the student to have authorization from USCIS before you can begin employment. This authorization can take up to 3 months to obtain. Students recommended for OPT will receive a new SEVIS I-20 with an OPT recommendation notation. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Internship with an International Organization
If an F-1 student is offered employment in the form of an internship by a recognized international organization, he or she may accept such employment upon receipt of authorization from USCIS. Examples of recognized international organizations include the United Nations, the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, etc. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Economic Hardship
F-1 students who experience a serious economic hardship due to an unforeseen change in their financial situation may qualify for off-campus employment authorization. Among the changes that may qualify a student for economic hardship authorization are unexpected loss of a scholarship, significant currency devaluation or large business loss by a financial sponsor. Students must be able to document the change in their financial situation and prove that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond their control. For more information consult with an ISSAC advisor.

Social Security Number
In order to work in the US, you will need a valid Social Security Number (SSN). Your Wesleyan ID number is not a valid Social Security number. Students may apply for an SSN only after they have been offered a job or upon receipt of work authorization. The Social Security Administration will process your application and a number will be sent to you. The NCWC Director of International Student Services can assist with Social Security questions and also with transportation to the local Social Security Office.

In general, F-1 students who have been in the US for no more than five calendar years are exempt from Social Security (also known as FICA) and Medicare taxes. You should be sure to bring this to the attention of your employer because many employers are not familiar with this provision of the tax laws. Students in F-1 status are subject to all other taxes that may apply: federal, state and local.

Employment Eligibility Verification
Within the first three days of beginning work, you and your employer must complete a form entitled Employment Eligibility Verification (USCIS Form I-9). This form should be provided by your employer and must be updated each time you receive a renewal of your work permission.

It is required that all international students carry the health insurance plan offered by North Carolina Wesleyan College. Students will be covered for basic accident, sickness and major medical with Bollinger Insurance for the cost of $1,116.00 per year. This amount will automatically be included in your Business Office statement. Please visit the Health Services website for more information on student insurance.

Admission Checklist



  • Submit your application then get accepted.
  • Already accepted?
  • Move to step 2.

Submit Academic Records

Once your application has been submitted, email our International Advisor your officially translated academic records. Records must include courses taken, grades received and degrees/certificates earned. International students who have attended a college/university outside the United States must provide official translated transcripts. The course-by-course evaluation must be by an external evaluation service such as


Submit Proficiency Scores

TOEFL: Students whose native language is not English are required to submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores in order to be considered for admission.


Pay Enrollment Deposit

All International students are required to pay a $1,000 (USD) Enrollment Deposit. This deposit is used to secure the room and class schedule of each student. This deposit is non-refundable unless the student’s Visa is denied.


Submit CFR

Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR): All accepted applicants who have deposited must submit a CFR to the International Admissions Representative, giving evidence of their ability to cover all expenses for each year of study. If privately sponsored, the student must document the first year’s assured support on deposit in a band and parent/sponsor certification.


Obtain I-20

After you are notified of your admission status, we will email instructions about obtaining your I-20 or Visa.


Secure Housing

Submit your housing application and start packing! Once you make your enrollment deposit, you will receive a letter with all of the information you need!


Attend Orientation

Take care of official business on campus. A weekend event, beginning with Campus Move-in Day for new students. NSE is a required orientation program that helps prepare you for your transition to college.

Welcome Bishop!

12 joyous international students posing with native country flags