Current International Student FAQs

Q: I plan to travel during school breaks. What should I take with me?
A: You will need to bring your I-20 with a current signature, visa, and passport. Each signature on your I-20 is valid for one year. It is your responsibility to ensure that your signature does not expire before traveling. Bring your I-20 to Dawn Turner in the admissions building to sign if the signature is no longer valid.

Q: I am not able to finish my program by the completion date noted on my I-20. What should I do?
A: If you are not able to finish your degree program by the end of the date noted on your I-20, you can request an extension of your program. Contact Dawn Turner for assistance. There has to be a legitimate legally acceptable reason that you cannot complete your studies.

Q: I moved. Do you need my new location?
A: For any type of relocation, even if you moved to another dorm, contact Dawn Turner so she can update your information.

Q: I have changed my major. Do I need a new I-20?
A: Yes, you will have to notify Dawn Turner if there is a change in your major or minor. You will then receive an updated I-20. Do not discard any old I-20 forms or documents.

Q: I will be graduating soon. How can I receive authorization for employment after I graduate?
A: You should begin the process of applying for employment authorization at least 3 months prior to your graduation date. You must submit your employment authorization application prior to graduation; however, you may request that employment begin up to 60 days after the final date of your studies.

Q: Is it possible for me to take classes part-time for a semester?
A: Students with an F-1 are required to be full-time students. Only in very limited circumstances you can take fewer classes than full-time status requires. You must receive prior approval before dropping below full-time status or you will be considered out of status. See Dawn Turner if you are considering dropping below full-time status so your case can be evaluated.

Q: Is health insurance required while I am a student in F-1 status?
A: Yes, North Carolina Wesleyan College requires that all international students carry health insurance throughout their education here.