Prospective International Student FAQs

Q: What do I need to do to apply for an F1 visa in my country?

Students will have to contact the US embassy in their city and get an appointment. Prior to your appointment you will need to pay the SEVIS fee. Make sure you have all the required documentation before your appointment. (I-20 form, Wesleyan’s acceptance letters, passport, photos, SEVIS receipt, non-immigrant visa application DS-160, and documentation of your financial ability to support yourself). For more details review your embassy’s website.

Q: I have been accepted into North Carolina Wesleyan College. What should I bring with me when I come?
A: Besides your personal items and clothing we would recommend you to bring; hygiene products (shampoo, soap, towel, deodorant, tooth brush and toothpaste, etc.), travel and additional spending money, and a charger adapter/converter.

Q: I will be staying in a residence hall on campus. What do I need to furnish my room?
A: Most residence halls on campus house two students per room. Rooms come equipped with a single bed, dresser, desk, chair, and closet for each student. Students will need to provide bedding and decorations. We recommend you wait until your arrival to purchase these items.

Q: Will I be able to work while I am a student?
A: International students are only allowed to work on campus. They can work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 40 hours per week during school breaks. Students are responsible for securing a job on campus once they arrive.

Q: What should I expect when I go through immigration inspection upon arrival?
A: You will be asked to show your passport, visa, I-20 form and immigration forms (handed on the airplane).  It is important that you fill out the forms in a way that your name matches the name written on your visa. It is possible that you may be asked to show the receipt of the SEVIS fee as well as financial documents to prove that you have the means to pay for your education. Make sure all required documents are readily available while going through immigration. Do not pack these items in a suitcase you will be checking!

Q: What airport should I arrive at and will I have a ride to the school?
A: You will want to make arrangements to fly into RDU Airport in Raleigh, NC. It is very important that you send your flight information to Dawn Turner as soon as possible so arrangements for your arrival can be made.

Q: What should I do when I arrive on campus?
A: You will need stop by the Welcome Center to verify that you have arrived on campus. Bring your passport, visa and I-20 form to her office. Please bring any official, original transcripts to submit to your permanent file. Copies will need to be made to keep in your permanent file.