We are dedicated to helping Veterans, Active Duty, Military Dependent, Guard and Reserve Students meet and exceed their academic goals. We understand that the transition from military life to becoming a college student can certainly be a different experience. At NC Wesleyan, our goal is to support student veterans and supply them with all the necessary resources on and off campus so that they can focus on academic success. Allow us to help you build your future as a student and a civilian.
The federal government and other organizations offer college financial aid to active duty personnel, veterans, and those related to veterans or active duty personnel. Listed below is an extensive collection of Veteran Resources for military-connected students.
Thank you to you and your family for your service to our country. We look forward to serving you!
Getting Started Checklist:
1. Activate VA Benefits or Alert VA of Program Change
- To apply for VA Benefits (and designate your direct deposit account): www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply.
- Scroll midway down the page and click “Find your education Benefits Form.”
- Click “Applying for new benefit” and follow the prompts if you have never used your benefits before OR click on “Updating my current education benefit” and follow the prompts if you have used benefits before at a different school.
2. Apply for Admission at NC Wesleyan College
- Follow the steps to submit previous college transcripts (including military transcripts p.11) and other required paperwork to complete your application.
- Complete the Veteran Student In-Processing Form (p. 14 – if using VA Benefits)
3. Apply for Scholarships
- (Pp 20-25) The majority of scholarship applications are due at the beginning of the year. Plan accordingly!
4. Apply for Financial Aid
- (NCWC School Code – 002951)
- Complete your Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Submit forms as requested: my.ncwc.edu/ICS/My_Finances/Financial_Aid.jnz
5. Enroll in Classes
- Check with your academic advisor for dates and instructions
6. Request VA Certification
- Complete the VA Certification Request Form (p. 15) and submit to School Certifying Official: LEstes@ncwc.edu
7. Maintain Verification and Attendance
- All changes to your schedule must be reported to the School Certifying Official
- Attend class! The VA does not pay for non-attendance.
- Report attendance through WAVE.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA – falling below 2.0 for two consecutive terms will lead to termination of your enrollment reported to the VA.
Helpful External Links & Tools:
- Apply for VA Benefits or Change Program/School
- W.A.V.E. Attendance Verification (CH 30, 1606, 1607)
- Army/Navy/Marines/Coast Guard Transcripts
- Air University (Air Force Transcripts)
- NC Wesleyan College Catalog
- US Department of Veterans Affairs Website
- GI Bill Website
- BAH Calculator
- GI Bill Comparison Tool
Other Military Related Sites:
- The American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Military Friendly Schools
- Military Hire – Jobs for Veterans and Transitioning Military
- Veterans Crisis Hotline
- Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)
- Fisher House Foundation
- DECA Commissary Scholarships
- Pat Tillman Foundation
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Troops to Teachers
Online Form Center
Office of Veterans Affairs Contact Information:
If you have questions and would like to visit us at our main Rocky Mount Campus, stop by the Veterans Services Office.
Braswell Administration Office (next to the Registrar’s Office)